Beach towels are an essential item for any summer vacation or pool party. However, storing them can be challenging, especially with limited space. Proper storage not only keeps your towels organized but also helps to extend their lifespan.
With so many different systems and options available, it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for your needs.
In this ultimate guide, we have compiled 50 of the best tips and ideas for beach towel storage. We cover everything you need to know from different spaces to different systems to keep your pool towels and other pool gear organized and ready for poolside and beach fun. We also highlight essential features of pool towel storage to help you make an informed decision.
Whether you have a small apartment balcony or a spacious backyard, there is a towel storage solution for everyone.
All About Tidy may earn a commission through these independently curated links, at no expense to you.
Why Beach Towel Storage is Important
Having dedicated beach towel storage will help keep your home organized and tidy, especially if you love spending time at the beach or pool. Here are a few reasons why beach towel storage is important:
- Extra Space: Beach towels can take up a lot of space in your home, especially if you have a large family. Having a designated storage area for your beach towels can free up room in your linen closet or bathroom.
- Easy Access: Storing your beach towels in a convenient location makes it easier to grab them whenever you need them. This is especially important if you have guests or like to go to the beach or pool frequently.
- Extra Dry Towels: Storing your beach towels in a dry, airy location will prevent them from becoming damp or musty, which can cause them to smell bad. This is an important consideration if you live in a humid climate.
- Clean Towels: Storing your beach towels in a clean location prevents them from becoming dirty or musty.
No one likes to search for beach towels when it is time to hit the beach or pool. Create an organization system and always have a clean, dry beach towel on hand.
Types of Beach Towel Storage
When it comes to storing beach towels, various options are available. Some people prefer DIY solutions, while others opt for store-bought solutions. Here are some of the most popular types of beach towel storage:
DIY Beach Towel Solutions
If you're looking for a budget-friendly way to store your beach towels, there are a number of DIY solutions:
- Use a towel bar: Install a towel bar on the wall and hang your beach towels on it. This is a simple and effective way to keep your towels organized and off the floor.
- Wicker baskets: Roll or fold your beach towels and store them in wicker or woven baskets. Place the baskets on a shelf or in a corner of the room.
- Towel hooks: Install towel hooks on the wall and hang your beach towels on them. This is a great option if you have limited space.
- Plastic container: A plastic container with a lid is an excellent option if you want to keep your beach towels dust-free.
- Rolled towel: Place your rolled beach towels in a decorative bin or place on a shelf.
If you prefer pre-made solutions for storing beach towels, there are plenty of options available. Here are a few ideas:
- Wire baskets: Wire baskets are a popular option for storing beach towels. They come in a variety of sizes and styles, and can be placed on the floor or on a shelf.
- Wine rack: A wine rack can be repurposed as a beach towel holder. Roll your beach towels and place them in the slots.
- Door hooks: Over-the-door hooks are a great option if you have limited space. Simply hang your beach towels on the hooks.
- Decorative ladder: A decorative ladder can hang your beach towels. This is a stylish option that can also serve as a decorative piece in your room or pool area.
- Plastic bin: A plastic bin with a lid is a great option if you want to keep your beach towels clean and dry.
- Freestanding towel rack: A freestanding towel rack will keep your beach towels off the floor. They come in a variety of styles and sizes.
- Brass towel rack: A brass towel rack is a stylish option for storing beach towels. They come in a variety of styles and sizes.
- Towel ring: A towel ring can be installed on the wall and is a great option if you have limited space.
- Hemnes storage bench: A Hemnes-style storage bench can store your beach towels.
Pool Towel Storage Ideas for Small Spaces
When it comes to storing pool towels in small spaces, finding the right solution that fits both your storage needs and your space constraints can be a challenge. Here are some pool towel storage ideas that work well in small spaces:
- Rolled Towels in a Plastic Container: If you have a lot of towels to store, rolling them up and placing them in a plastic container can be a space-saving solution. This method also keeps the towels organized and easy to access.
- Towel Hooks: Another space-saving solution is to use wall or door hooks to hang your pool towels. This is a great option if you have limited floor space but still want to keep your towels easily accessible.
- Storage Baskets: Storage baskets are a versatile option that can be used to store pool towels in small rooms. They can be placed on shelves, under benches, or in other small spaces to keep towels organized and easily accessible.
- Wall-Mounted Towel Rack: A wall-mounted towel rack is a great option for small spaces because it doesn't take up any floor space. It can be mounted on a wall in your pool area or in a nearby room to keep towels organized and within reach.
Many pool towel storage solutions work well in small spaces.
Pool Towel Storage Ideas for Large Spaces
When it comes to storing pool towels in large spaces, the options are limitless. One of the best ways to maximize storage space is to use a storage unit specifically designed for pool towels. These units come in various sizes and can be placed in the living room or outdoor area. They are perfect for storing large quantities of towels and keeping them organized.
For those who prefer a more permanent storage solution, outdoor cabinets are a great option. These cabinets are designed to withstand outdoor elements and can be used to store pool towels and other outdoor items. Think about the last time you visited a beach or pool resort- the towels were likely neatly stored in a rolling cabinet.
Creative Beach Towel Storage Ideas
If you are looking for a creative beach towel storage idea, here are a few you may not have seen before.
DIY Towel Rack
One of the easiest and most customizable ways to store your beach towels is to create your own DIY towel rack. This can be as simple as mounting a few hooks on the wall or as complex as building a custom rack from scratch.
For a simple DIY towel rack, consider using PVC pipes. Cut the pipes to the desired length and attach them to a board or directly to the wall. This option is smart if you have limited space or want a more minimalist look.
Another option is to repurpose a wine rack as a towel holder. Simply roll up your towels and place them in the slots. This can be a fun and unique way to add personality to your beach decor.
Fancy Pool Towel Storage Ideas
If you're looking for a more innovative pool towel storage solution, consider using a storage bench or ottoman. These pieces of furniture can double as seating and storage and can be used to store pool towels, pool toys, and other accessories.
How to Handle Wet Beach Towels
After a day of swimming and lounging by the pool, towels tend to get wet and sandy. It's important to have a designated storage area for these towels to prevent them from getting moldy or musty. Here are some classic and innovative pool towel storage ideas:
Pool Towel Drying Rack
A pool towel rack is a classic towel storage idea that is both functional and stylish. These racks can be made of wood, metal, or plastic and placed near the pool or on the patio.
They typically have multiple bars or hooks to hang wet towels, allowing them to dry quickly. Some models even have additional shelves or compartments for storing other pool accessories.
When storing wet towels, avoid folding them or leaving them in a pile. This can cause them to become musty and develop an unpleasant odor.
Instead, hang them up to dry or lay them flat on a surface that allows air to circulate around them. If you don't have a pool towel rack, you can use a clothesline or a drying rack to hang them up.
Warm Water Rinse
Washing pool towels after every use isn't necessary, but consider rinsing your towels off before hanging them up to dry. This can help remove any chlorine or saltwater residue and prevent them from smelling bad.
Simply fill a bucket or basin with warm water and add a small amount of detergent or fabric softener. Swirl the towels around in the water and then hang them up to dry.
Poolside Storage for Towels, Pool Toys, and Beach Gear
When it comes to pool area storage, don't just consider the towels themselves, but also the pool toys and gear that come along with them. Keeping everything organized and easily accessible can make a big difference in the overall enjoyment of your pool area.
One option for storing pool towels, toys, and gear is a dedicated outdoor storage container. These come in various sizes and styles, from large deck boxes to smaller cabinets. They can be made of materials like wood, resin, or plastic, and often come with features like locking lids or wheels for easy mobility.
Another option is to repurpose existing storage containers for pool use. For example, an old wooden crate can be painted and sealed to make a rustic-chic poolside storage unit.
A metal shelving unit can be outfitted with baskets or bins to hold towels and toys. Get creative and think outside the box!
For those who prefer a more DIY approach, there are plenty of pool towel storage ideas that can be made from scratch. PVC pipes can be used to create a simple towel rack, while a wooden pallet can be transformed into a multi-level storage unit for towels and toys.
Whatever option you choose, make sure to consider the amount of storage space you'll need. If you have a large family or frequently host pool parties, you'll likely need more storage than if you only use your pool occasionally. And don't forget to factor in the size of your pool toys and gear - you'll want to ensure everything fits comfortably in your chosen storage solution.
The key to successful pool towel storage is finding a solution that works for your specific needs and preferences. Whether you opt for a pre-made storage container, a repurposed DIY project, or something in between, keeping your pool area organized and clutter-free will make for a more enjoyable swimming experience for everyone.